Calvert Trust – Exmoor
Calvert Trust Exmoor has a vacancy for an Apprentice Activity Instructor. As well as working with our diverse group of visitors, the successful candidates will be involved in the development and maintenance of activity facilities and equipment. You will also be required to work with horses (under supervision from our stables team).
The successful candidate will:
- Be enthusiastic and have strong interpersonal skills to manage and encourage the diverse range of visitors who undertake our activities.
- Have a good team ethic.
- Have the willingness to learn the key skills required to take on the instructor role at Calvert Trust Exmoor and an interest in working with people with disabilities.
- Be flexible and prepared to adapt in this demanding and ever-changing environment.
- Be willing to work with horses (Under supervision and with training provided).
Experience of working with people with disabilities is not a requirement but would be advantageous.
Day to day duties will include:
- To assist the provision of activities in accordance with the operating procedures in the Instructor Handbook and supporting training.
- Night duty responsibilities.
- Safety and wellbeing of visitors in accordance with Health and Safety guidelines.
- Care, storage and issue of equipment.
- Maintenance of activity equipment.
- Enthusiasm to see continual centre development, you’ll be looking for opportunities to make our guest experience better each year.
- Support the work of all departments in the centre as prioritized by your manager.
- Assistance with general duties and other work as deemed appropriate.
- Maintain and protect the confidentiality of our customers and the centre.
To find out more about the centre see their website.
Desirable skills and qualifications, but not essential:
- Some experience in outdoor activities
- A passion for personal development through outdoor activities
- 5 GCSE’s (A – C or 4 – 9)
An essential part of working in the outdoor and active leisure industries is taking your own skills development seriously. This means that successful candidates are usually those who can show a clear commitment to improving their personal skill in activities and working towards coaching awards.
A job in the outdoor and active leisure industry is an exciting and rewarding one, but you need to be ready to get totally involved. This will mean being flexible over hours – we often work evenings or weekends – and flexible over roles – we’re as likely to be on the end of a brush or mop as we are on the end of a rope! Ask lots of questions to make sure you know what to expect from this varied and exciting opportunity.
- possible fixed term contract
- Links with other outdoor providers, centres and clubs
- additional training
Apprenticeship: Level 3 Outdoor Activity Instructor with additional Skills Package
Hourly rate: Apprentice National Minimum Wage
Working Hours: 37.5 hours over 5 days per week.
Closing Date: 1st January 2020
Interview Date: February
Person Specification: You must be outgoing, approachable, well presented, friendly, committed, enthusiastic, independent, fit and keen to learn. A positive drive to develop your personal skills in adventurous activities is essential.
If you wish to apply, please send you CV along with a cover letter to Mark.Worfell@calvert-trust.org.uk
or post your application to:
Calvert Trust Exmoor