An exciting new opportunity in Staffordshire to work and learn the skills necessary to become an outdoor instructor!
Entrust Outdoors has a fifty-year pedigree of providing high quality outdoor education for children, young people and adults, with the skills and expertise to deliver a wide range of outcome focused activities through their ‘Explore & Inspire’ ethos.
Entrust Outdoors has two residential centres in Staffordshire at which the apprentices will be based. In addition to this, Entrust Outdoors has well established Duke of Edinburgh, Outreach, NCS, Educational Visits Advice and First Aid departments. Entrust Outdoors also provides outdoor adventure activities for the British Army as part of their Soldier Development programme.
All our activities are led by highly qualified, passionate, and active outdoor practitioners with great experience and some of this country’s leading professional awards and training.
Find out more on Entrust’s website here.
While working at Entrust you will be supported by both your employer and Channel Training the Training Provider. You will be working towards your Level 3 Outdoor Activity Instructor qualification and will have the opportunity to obtain qualifications such as:
- 2 Day ITC Level 3 Award in Outdoor First Aid
- Safeguarding training and certificate
- Manual Handling (ITC Level 2 Award in safe moving and handling)
- ITC Level 2 Award in Health and Safety in the workplace
- COSHH Training
- Customer Care Training
- Prevent Training
- British Canoeing Foundation Safety and Rescue Training (FSRT)
- Powerboat L2
- NICAS Award
- Climbing Wall Assistant & Instructor Award Training
- ERCA High Ropes Instructor (external)
- Lowland Leader Award
- Other awards dependent upon individual and employer aspirations
Day to Day Duties:
- Observing and assisting with a variety of outdoor activities in both centre and natural environments, leading to the authorisation to run these activities independently.
- Assist with general centre tasks such as keeping the centre tidy, looking after equipment, tuck shop & site maintenance.
- Assisting with customer care and giving them the best experience possible.
- Working towards completing Apprenticeship work as well as a range of training and qualifications such as First Aid, Safeguarding, Health & Safety, National Governing Body awards (NGB’s).
About the Candidate
Desirable – some experience in outdoor activities.
Essential – a passion for personal development through outdoor activities.
Desirable – 5 GCSEs A*- C / 4-9
Essential – minimum of Level 1 in English & Maths (equivalent of GCSE grade 3 or D/E)
Outgoing, approachable, well presented, friendly, committed, enthusiastic, independent, fit and keen to learn. A positive drive to develop your personal skills in adventurous activities is essential.
Following successful completion of the programme, it is likely that this will lead to a period of full-time instructional employment with Entrust Outdoors.
- Standon Bowers OEC, Weston Lane, Staffs, ST21 6RD
- Laches Wood OEC, Laches Lane, Slade Heath, Wolverhampton, WV10 7PA
Weekly Wage: £356.25
Uniform and some meals provided (No accommodation is available at the centres therefore own transport is essential)
Working Hours: 37.5 hours a week – annualised (will include weekends and evenings and weekly hours will vary)
Closing Date: 1st November 2021
Interview Date: November 2021 (TBC)
Potential Start Date: February 2022
If you wish to apply, please send your CV along with cover letter to email@example.com
In your cover letter please let us know the following:
- Why do you want to become an Apprentice Outdoor Activity Instructor.
- Your experience of outdoor activities.
- Which outdoor activities do you enjoy doing.
- Your previous work experience which may be applicable to this role.
- Do you have experience of working with children.
- Which location would be more suitable for you; Standon Bowers OEC or Laches Wood OEC.
- Do you have access to your own transport.