Frylands Wood Scout Outdoor Centre
Lewisham Scouts are seeking to appoint an apprentice who has the aptitude and ability to undertake an apprentice programme of on and off the job training and gain experience as an Apprentice Outdoor Activity Instructor at its outdoor centre – Frylands Wood. You will learn and develop the necessary skills and experience to assist in the delivery of safe, high quality outdoor education and training courses for children, young people and adults. In addition to working with groups in the outdoors, you will contribute to the daily duties of a residential centre and a rota of evening and weekend duties.
For full details on the centre please see their website
Frylands Wood is located in the green belt, on the border of Croydon, Greater London and Tandridge, Surrey. It is a 65 acre estate comprising of mixed woodland and camping fields. It is bordered by woodland and township. It has purpose built residential buildings that sleep up to 62 people. The outdoor centre is managed and operated by Lewisham District Scouts.
While working at Frylands Wood you could obtain some of the following qualifications:
• 2 Day ITC Level 3 Award in Outdoor First Aid
• Safeguarding training and certificate
• Manual Handling (ITC Level 2 Award in safe moving and handling)
• ITC Level 2 Award in Health and Safety in the workplace
• COSHH Training
• Customer Care Training
• Prevent Training
• British Canoeing 2* / Discover / Explore
• British Canoeing Foundation Safety and Rescue Training (FSRT)
• British Canoeing Paddlesport Instructor Course
• Climbing Wall Instructor Award Training
• A range of NGB awards dependent upon individual and employer aspirations
You must be committed to developing a career working with young people in the outdoors.
Desirable skills and qualifications, but not essential:
- Some experience in outdoor activities
- 4 GCSE’s at a minimum Grade D (3/4) including English and Maths
- Advanced Qualifications
- Links with other outdoor providers, centres and clubs.
Hourly rate: Apprentice National Minimum Wage
Working Hours: 36 hours per week including evenings and weekends
Closing Date: 5pm on Sunday 14th April 2019
Interview Date: A selection day and interviews will be held at Frylands Wood Scout Outdoor Centre on Saturday 27th April 2019
For more information, and a job description and person specification, please email: Barry Goswell at firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply, please send a CV with a covering letter of no more than two sides of A4 explaining how you meet the person specification and what you can bring to the role to Barry Goswell at email@example.com
Please mark the email ‘Confidential for addressee only’