Longtown Outdoor Learning Trust
Longtown Outdoor Learning Trust are looking to recruit 2 Outdoor Activity Instructor Apprentices.
Longtown Outdoor Learning Trust became an independent charity in October 2018. At present the trust focuses on two main strands of work:
- The provision of residential outdoor learning courses for schools, colleges and other youth organisations at Longtown Outdoor Learning Centre.
- The provision of Educational Visits advice and training to schools.
Longtown Outdoor Learning Trust’s residential centre and offices are situated in the beautiful Herefordshire village of Longtown on the eastern edge of the Brecon Beacons National Park. The Trust is currently developing its buildings and estate in preparation for the summer season. The current developments will significantly enhance accommodation and domestic facilities as well as increasing the on-site activity provision.
The centre accommodates visiting groups of up to 70 people (principally school groups and youth organisations) and, at the same time, can undertake activities for visiting day groups. Following the completion of a new semi-permanent campground the maximum capacity will increase to 120 during summer months. The Trust currently employs 10 staff including 5 outdoor learning tutors. By this summer the team will expand to 16 to meet the demands of bigger programmes.
They are looking for two committed and enthusiastic Apprentices to assist with the delivery of high quality social and personal development through residential outdoor education. Applicants must have some personal experience of Outdoor and Adventurous activities and be keen to develop personal skills and leadership skills in a range of outdoor activities.
Good organisation, communication and ICT skills are expected and the successful candidate will need to demonstrate their initiative and resourcefulness. The apprenticeship is offered in partnership with Channel Training Limited.
Applicants will be expected to gain experience and skills in the following activities across the course of the apprenticeship:
- Stand Up Paddleboarding
- Rock Climbing
- Hill Walking
- Gorge Walking
- Team Building
Day to Day Duties:
- Assisting with the delivery of high quality sessions of residential and non-residential outdoor learning.
- Supervising small groups of children / young people in a residential setting.
- Assisting to clean and maintain activity equipment and facilities used by the client groups to ensure that the highest standards of Health and Safety are achieved.
Skills and Qualifications:
knowledge and experience of working with children and young people, some personal experience in outdoor activities – Desirable
- a passion for personal development through outdoor activities – Essential
- 5 GCSE’s (A* – C / 4 – 9) including Maths and English – Desirable
- Personal Skills Awards in outdoor activities e.g. BCU star awards, NICAS, D of E, Scouts etc – Desirable
- Maths and English Level 1 – Essential
Longtown Outdoor Learning Centre has introduced new posts for outdoor activity instructors. Successful candidates who complete their apprenticeship will be eligible to apply for these new roles or other comparable roles at other centres.
Hourly rate: Apprentice National Minimum Wage
Working Hours: The working week will average 37 hours. It will comprise both on-job and off-job training and will include evening and some weekend work.
Closing Date: Tuesday 14th January 2020
Interview Date: Friday 24 January 2020 tbc
Potential Start Date: Monday 10 February 2020 tbc
If you wish to apply, please click here. You will be taken to the Longtown Outdoor Learning Trust website where you can find the application form.
**Applications will only be accepted through the employers online application form available on their website**
An application pack along with a job description and person specification can also be viewed on the Longtown Outdoor Learning Trust website.