Apprentice Outdoor Activity Instructor
BF Adventure is a charity based in Falmouth, Cornwall, they run a huge range of activities that are designed to challenge, excite, teach new skills and overcome barriers. BF Adventure was established 30 years ago and has developed a 60-acre activity site together with a highly skilled team to deliver flexible programmes of inclusive, adventurous outdoor activities for children, young people and their families.
Becoming an Apprentice at BF Adventure is highly rewarding and aims to provide a well-rounded understanding of the Outdoor Activity Sector as well as enabling the pathway towards becoming an Outdoor Instructor. Activities include: Zip Wire, quarry-steering, canoeing, kayaking, rock climbing, abseiling, indoor climbing, archery, watersports, bushcraft and more.
As an Apprentice, you will be provided with training and opportunities to deliver/support a range of activity instruction and programmes (dependent upon experience/qualifications) to the clients of BF Adventure. You will be trainined to operate to a highly professional and safe standard, to create an enjoyable, challenging, fun and educational environment providing equal opportunities to a wide range of often challenging individuals.
Day to day activities:
- To lead/support the delivery of a range of inclusive outdoor activity programmes both on and off site.
- Maintain a full understanding of BFA’s Health & Safety policies and to understand and practice dynamic risk assessment of all activities
- Motivate & enthuse clients
- Set boundaries and impose consequences should they be exceeded
- Challenge and manage anti-social behaviour
- Adapt level of challenge to needs and capabilities of participants
- To meet the needs of each individual with a focus on inclusive participation
- To demonstrate a clear understanding of safeguarding and equal opportunities
- To support the delivery of Via Ferrata Cornwall CIC as and when requested.
- Completion of all documentation relating to client groups/programmes
- Accurate submission of timesheets and monitoring of all internal
- Completion of equipment logs and safety checks
- Complete in a timely fashion work relating to the apprenticeship set by the Apprentice training partner including evidencing work, course work, acting on feedback from mentors or trainers and all other work required for the successful completion of the apprenticeship.
To find out more please visit the BF Adventure website.
Desirable skills and qualifications:
- Some experience in outdoor and adventurous activities
- Hold a current, clean driving licence
- Experience of working with children
- 5 GCSE’s including Maths and English grade 4/C or above (or be willing to work towards a L2 functional skills if you previously achieved a grade 3/D at GCSE or have passed L1 Functional skills)
- The ability and willingness to work flexible hours
- Proactive team player with good communications skills
- Approachable, open and flexible
BF Adventure is committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable adults. The successful candidate will be required to complete an enhanced DBS check.
Accommodation may be available upon request. The BF Adventure site is remote therefore candidates should be able to easily and reliably get to and from BF Adventure.
Opportunity into full time / seasonal instructor contracts within the organisation is an expectation.
Apprenticeship: Level 3 Outdoor Activity Instructor with additional Skills Package
Hourly rate: Apprentice National Minimum Wage
Working Hours: 35 hours per week
Closing Date: Thursday 11th November 2021
Interview Date: 29th & 30th November / 6th & 7th December
Possible start date: 10th January 2022
For more information and to download the information and job pack please visit the BF Adventure website here.
For any queries please contact the Centre Manager Tony Baker Tony.email@example.com / 01326 340912